Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ada Kathryn is here!

Ada Kathryn was born July 26, 2008. She was 7 lbs. and 20 in. long. She is making mom, dad, and big sister very proud!!

Ada minutes after she was born.

Josephine holding Ada. Josephine was very excited!

The family.

Elizabeth, Ada, and Nathan before leaving the birthing center.

Ada (16 hours old) sleeping.

Ada sleeping in a boppy (22 hours old).

Josephine holding Ada again.
I wanted to get some pictures up for everyone. Her birth story is below if you want to read the whole thing. It's not well-written, but I just had a baby 24 hours ago, don't expect too much from me right now. :)
Ada's Birth Story
Friday night I was having some contractions, but nothing consistent or major. Throughout the night, they got to be a little more intense. On Saturday morning, contractions started becoming more painful below my belly. Into the afternoon, they became closer together and more consistent. Gradually going from 15 minutes apart to 10 minutes apart. Starting around 4 or 5 pm they started becoming extremely strong, closer together, and lasting 3-4 minutes each. I usually sat down inbetween contractions either on an exercise ball or in the rocker and walked through the contractions (sitting and laying down were just too painful). I didn't realize it at the time, but I hit transition just after 6PM. The contractions were right on top of each other and very painful. I sobbed and sobbed while I walked up and down the hall. Nathan had gone to the grocery store right before transition because we thought we still had plenty of time (wouldn't you know it?) and I managed to call him at the beginning of transition to come home (he was on his way already) and by the time he got home the sobbing was starting so he called the midwife to tell them that we were on our way to the birthing center. The midwife on call was at the hospital with someone else, so the backup midwife on call was called and told us she would be at the birthing center in 30 minutes. So we had to wait a few minutes before we left the house. Transition had passed by the time we got in the car and contractions had spread out a bit. I had 3 contractions in the car, which was not fun.
When we got to the birthing center, the midwife was there. I had to go to the bathroom before the cervical check, which gave me a contraction. Then I had another contraction when I tried to sit down on the exam table. When she checked me I was already 9cm dialated! Nathan and I then walked up and down the short hallway twice, I think, when I felt the need to push. I was wanting a waterbirth and the tub was just starting to be filled. I paniced a little because I didn't want to push if I wasn't in the water (the water was my security blanket that I didn't want to let go of). Plus, I was just plain scared of pushing a baby out without any pain meds. The midwife made me come to the bed and lay down (so that if I did push, the baby wouldn't land on the floor). My water hadn't broken yet and the midwife said that it would be best if she broke it. I was nervous about that because with Josephine's birth, once they broke my water I felt horrible with contractions right on top of each other. I let her break my water and layed on my side/back during the next two contractions. I only halfway pushed during those contractions, just out of fear mainly, and still holding out the hope that I could labor in the birthing tub. On the third contraction after she broke my water, I got on my knees on the bed and leaned on Nathan. During that one contraction Ada crowned and was born. I can't say it was a peaceful birth because I remember myself yelling/screaming and thrashing around while pushing her out, but it was quick! And honestly, I don't know if it really "hurt" or if was fear that caused my mini-freak out. I was shocked that she came out so quickly and "easily" that I sat dumbfounded for at least 5 minutes after she was born. So, Ada was born within 30 mintues of arriving at the birthing center and within 10 minutes of the first urge to push.
After Ada was born, we cuddled and talked for a little bit while I delivered the placenta (which was more uncomfortable than I realized it would be). I had a 2nd degree tear that had to be stitched up. I was a total wuss for that. I whined the whole time until she gave me a 2nd shot of numbing medicine. Ada picked up on breastfeeding with no problems. She was alert and crying. It was a couple hours before she was weighed or measured. She was born around 8:30pm, July 26, 2008, weighing 7lbs. and 20 inches long.




3 comments:

Meredith Clinton said...

Wow you are my hero! No drugs, I can't imagine. The pictures are beautiful and Ada is georgous! We are soooooo happy for you all!!!

Love,
Meredith, Greg and Audrey

Jackie said...

No drugs and you are nuts!!!! HA! Congrats on your second child. :) What a great family you have. :) very happy for you. Very Happy.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, Beth. You're very courageous! Ada and Jo are so lucky to have you as a Mama. Ada is so beautiful and sweet. I'm so excited to watch her grow.